Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Whats happened to today's music?

First of all, hello everyone. This is my debut in the blogging world. Thought I would take advantage of my wife setting up this blog for us and finally post something.

There has been something going through my head for the past few weeks now. It is the difference between American music and other nationalities music. It seems like American music has become nothing more than a fancy beat and some words thrown in. Now I know there are plenty of exceptions but I am talking about the music as a whole. I don't know about other languages other than Spanish and Portuguese but it seems like music in those languages has a lot more depth to it. They have the beat and they have great lyrics that go along. That is just one of the many blessings that I took away from the mission. Being able to understand the language now I get so much more out of their music. Before I would just listen to the beat and dance some salsa or bachata or something now as I dance and understand the words it adds another level of appreciation.

On a separate but related point. I miss the good old days of entertainment (movies especially) where actors and actresses could do more than just read a script and rely on special effects. I love watching older movies when they can dance, sing, act and have a variety of talents. Even though they didn't have the best graphics back then, I will take their plot lines and actors abilities over any block buster hit. It seems like all Hollywood is doing is spitting out movies that have nothing of substance but full of special effects.

Anyways this is just some random late night post. Hope you are all doing well.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I agree about the movies comment, AJ. I love the old movies like "Singin in the Rain" and "White Christmas" and all the other greats. Now all you see is blue screen work, and even that isn't as good as what people used to do.

Mandy said...

Nancy got it on the nose! why do we as an American majority idolize flimsy pop music and shallow movies? maybe it's the fact that they themselves are flimsy and shallow. Whatever happened to our work ethic? why are we so dependent? and why do we blame others for our failures?- well that's another blog....

Sarah Eve said...

Amen brother! And welcome to the blog world.