Friday, March 6, 2009

yum

I JUST finished a scrumptious dinner (I'm still licking my lips!!!) and HAD to post the recipe.

it's Mac and cheese!
I bet you all think that's the only thing we eat around here...

well I actually got this recipe from a (must I say High Class) restaurant that I used to work at back East. The Fat Canary- and do they know what they're doing or what!!

sauce:
2 1/2 T butter
3 1/2 T flour
2 C half and half (divided)
2 C aged cheddar grated (I used regular med. cheddar and it was still delicious!)
1/2 t salt
grinds of pepper
1 C chopped scallion (again I substituted with shallots)

start the macaroni (2 cups) in salted boiling water and move on to another sauce pot for the ruex.
start off with the butter in sauce pot on moderate heat until bubbly, add the flour and whisk well. cook off the flour until foaming (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 C of half and half whisking vigorously until there are no lumps. Return to the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes- thinning the sauce every now and then with a dribble of half and half when it gets thick. Whisk in the salt and pepper and remove from heat. Incorporate the cheddar and whisk until smooth. Drain the pasta and fold into the sauce along with the scallions.

and you thought this couldn't get any better! Ha! just wait!!!!

take a rimmed baking sheet and toss some shrimp and cherry tomatoes in some olive oil and set the oven for broil under 400 degrees. keep the shrimp shells on and season with salt or old bay seasoning and broil for 5 minutes- or until the tomatoes have burst. turn the shrimp over about half way through. it makes such a huge difference when the shrimp shells stay on- oh wow! and it's worth every slight delay shelling them when your eating!

Even though Treson couldn't have shrimp- he sure loved the tomatoes with this creamy version of a favorite!


I hope you enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute cute videos Mandy and AJ! It's nice to see you guys enjoying your little boy so much, it makes me smile. Okay, so I'm dying to know what was edited out of the dancing vid??? I really liked the last one two, Treson begging for some of that antiox bar. Oh, I need to know what I should get for the little guy for his birthday!

Anonymous said...

testing
testing
one, two, three
just figuring out these HTML tags.

Roma Li Wakamatsu Morgan said...

Mandi, I wonder if you got your "Pay-it-forward" gift??

ballerina girl said...

Mandi, I found your blog through our cousin Melissa's blog. You have an adorable family! I cant wait to try that mac and cheese recipe- how do you buy the shrimp-frozen?

Mandy said...

yeah- I got a huge bag and take a few out when I want some- and just place them in a bowl of cold water until they thaw. I can't believe AJ doesn't like these succulent morsels!

Sarah Eve said...

I love Fat Canary! Miss that place :-/ But it's okay, figuring new places around here that are great too :-)

Roma Li Wakamatsu Morgan said...

Mandy, I got my "Pay it forward" yesterday!! I love it, love it!! Sara is coveting them, and so I let her borrow them for Church today! so cute!!