Saturday, October 11, 2008

SS: Hollywood Morals

ha- is there such a thing?


On "The Today Show," Hoda and Cathy-Lee were interviewing Kirt Cameron about his movie "Fire Proof," when they came upon the topic about a particular kissing scene.



Following this discussion, I was so intrigued by his personal integrity that I did some research of my own. This led to some surprising feedback by critics and the general public regarding his small moral stand behind the scenes of this movie. They claimed that he couldn't act because he wouldn't kiss another woman other than his actual wife. How desensitized can they get- they've failed to recognize his valor in all of this.

Most actors today have little, if any, standards. Sure their character maybe their polar opposite, but that doesn't change the fact that they, themselves, are physically carrying out grotesque scenes. I'm not saying that kissing your character's spouse is "R" rated, but a lot out there is. They could argue that those productions have an artistic message, but how can they when most this sludge is just shallow entertainment?

6 comments:

Lissa said...

Here, here! Go Kirk Cameron! More people should be like this.

TyBrit Boyce said...

Kirk Cameron has been my favorite actor since Growing Pains (one of the all time best shows ever)! I have a deep respect for him and what he stands for. Thanks for sharing that Mandy!

Anonymous said...

To play devil's advocate, isn't that the point of acting, to be someone that you're not? It's great that he's making a stand for something that he's not comfortable doing, just like some other actors/actresses absolutely will not go topless or bottomless. But I don't think that that makes an actor/actress a bad person or one with no values if they decide that they're comfortable with kissing or showing nudity for their craft. I do agree, that with any art form, there is sludge out there for money and not for the arts.

Mandy said...

I know not all actors are soulless ;) and that there are some very powerful movies that use violence or nudity as potent tools. I was just sad that when this particular actor stood up for his values, he got shot down by the public.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the video. It was uplifting to hear him talk about how much his marriage means to him and how being part of the movie Fireproof is all about helping others to save their marriages. I've heard really good things about the movie.

I applaud your blog post about Kirk Cameron's morals and how others should be respectful of his choices. Those hollywood types just don't get it. They don't think about it in the aspect of "I would want my spouse to feel the same way about me and make that choice." Granted, most of them are not exactly living a righteous lifestyle, hence their critism of Kirk. Large and spacious building syndrome ;-)

Anonymous said...

All of this is very fascinating to think and talk about. As an actor myself, I find the same debate going on in my own mind. And it's so crucial to decide early on where exactly you draw the line. Same with modeling. I'm happy that both my husband and I can agree on what is appropriate for me and what I will and will not do/show. Thank you for an interesting post.